Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test
Bennett's Mechanical Comprehension Test is a test published by Pearson TalentLens Company. Originally known as BMCT-I, the exam has since been improved and replaced by version BMCT-II (created in 2014), which is more adapted to the needs of current employers.
It should be noted that the BMCT-I was officially withdrawn from sales in January 2017 and is no longer available.
On What Skills Are Candidates Tested?
The BMCT-II evaluates candidates according to:
- Mechanical reasoning ability
- Ability to learn from mechanical processes
- Spatial reasoning: visualization of shapes in three dimensions
- Understanding and application of physical concepts and basics of mechanics
Discovery of the BMCT-II
|Discovery of the BMCT-II||55|
|Time allowed||25 minute|
|Test format||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Languages||American English, Spanish, French and Dutch|
|Conditions||Supervised hard copy or practical test, available online (unsupervised)|
What Is the BMCT-II Like?
The BMCT-II lasts 25 minutes and includes 55 multiple-choice questions, generated from a database of more than 300 questions. Each candidate is confronted with a set of questions presented in a random order, thus making sure that no candidate can receive the same exercises during the examination.
Below is a list of the topics regarding which you will need to solve questions in the BMCT-II, as well as the number of exercises appearing for each topic.
|Topic||Number of questions in the exam|
|Pulleys and levers||7|
|Forces, centrifugal force and inertia||6|
|Gears and belt drive||5|
|Gravity and speed||4|
|Acoustics and optics||3|
|Forms and volumes||3|
In addition, the BMCT-II has been revisited with new colourful and detailed illustrations to meet the demand and criteria of new computer technologies.
For Which Occupations Is the BMCT-II Relevant?
The standards in the test's latest version have been revised so as to include the following popular professions:
- Engineers: mechanical, electrical, civil and aerospace engineers.
- General industrial workforce: workers, handlers, caretaker/ grounds maintenance manager.
- Technical-commercial fields: agriculture, buildings, agri-food, various production lines.
- Maintenance/installation: industrial maintenance technician, industrial installation technician, building, air conditioning technician.
- Machinery: machinery operator, machinist.
- Skilled trades: elevator mechanic, welder, machinist, machine and tool inspector, metallurgy, maintenance mechanic, electromechanic, carpenter.
- Students in vocational training: students in automotive mechanics, mechanical engineering, metallurgy, mining and construction, transport.
- Mechanics: automotive, industrial, motorcycle, avionics, diesel mechanic and more.
What Is the BMCT-II's Level of Difficulty?
In the Bennett 2 Mechanical Comprehension Test, each question is assigned a specific level of difficulty (from simple to very difficult). Each exam is comprised of a constant number of questions of each difficulty level, thus ensuring an equal level of complexity for each candidate. In addition, the exercises are divided into different subjects according to the main subjects of mechanical aptitude, which will also be divided equally for each test. It is important to note however, that the level of the test may differ slightly depending on the questions assigned, although this is not taken into account during the final verification.
How Are the Test Results Presented?
Each BMCT-II testee will receive a Profile Report containing an analysis of their results. Unlike other aptitude tests, this report does not contain the raw test results, i.e. the number of correct answers. This is because, as explained in the previous paragraph, the level of difficulty may vary slightly according to the questions and therefore has very little impact on the candidate's profile. The scoring system uses an algorithm that takes into account the exact level of difficulty of each question in order to calculate a capacity estimate - a "theta score" (competence score), which is then converted to a percentage and included in the profile report. This score is then automatically compared to the selected normative or reference group (these groups are detailed here).
A Profile Report Example
Download the PDF here.
In Which Languages Is the BMCT Available?
Bennett's Mechanical Comprehension Test is currently available online in American English, Spanish, French and Dutch. Please note that a paper version is available in American English.
Which Companies Require Candidates to Pass the BMCT?
|Keyence||TE Connectivity Europe||DuPont France|
|SEPTA||Douglas Dynamics||Fabri-Kal Corporation|
|IK Hofmann USA Inc||Ball Corporation||Ardagh Group|
|Warren Equipment Company||Modine Manufacturing Company||Clean Harbors|
|Avangrid France||New Standard Corporation|